Uncertified – Variety Not Stated
Most common and most hardy fall-seeded cover crop in northern climates.
Winter rye competes heavily with weeds and produces lots of forage/green manure in the spring. Will germinate down to 35°F soil temp. Excellent feed value as late-season forage with protein levels up to 18%.
- Best used as a cover crop, forage crop and/or grain crop
- Well adapted to all soil types including low fertility, acidic, or sandy soils
- Can be planted deep into the fall (until first snow)
- Can suppress germination of following crops (especially small-seeded crops). Allow biomass to decompose for 7-10 days prior to planting cash crops.
- Heavy N and water user in the spring
- Kill early if drought is forecast
- Variety Not Stated
There are no reviews yet.